Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Thoughts on Tech

As I wrote for today, I had no idea where I was going to go.  I honestly found the topic contrived and predictable.  Then, I started writing.  And I learned about myself.  It was great.  In an attempt not to scratch the entire thing and start over, here are my initial inklings.  

Day 2: Write about one piece of technology that you would like to try this year, and why. You might also write about what you’re hoping to see out of this edtech integration.

Over the last year, I have inadvertently gone paperless. (This from the same teacher who would copy, coordinate, and correlate all of her handouts.)  And I'm fortunate.  A self-proclaimed Google-Guru. 

Just five years ago, I remember listening to my colleagues from around the state about this "paperless" concept and thinking how far away I was from being able to do that.  I could not even comprehend what it meant in and English classroom with all the reading and writing.  Especially since, at the time, I was teaching in a rural school with no wifi, one computer lab, and desktop computers for teachers.  

Then, with the weight of nine writing classes over the course of the school year, my principal used a cart of Chromebooks as bribery to take said classes.  Without even realizing, all of my teaching has been online.  I love that I can find something in the morning and email it to my students the same day, instead of sending it out the print shop.  While this may be encouraging my procrastination, it is also encouraging my creativity.  I am more of an in the moment kind of teacher now, making sure my content is relevant and up-to-date.  

Have realized how far I have come even early on in my career,  I can't even comprehend the types of technology that will be available and helpful to my students and me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment