Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A Letter to my Students during Tragic Times


Dear Students,

I am so sorry.  I am sorry this hit so close to home for you.  I am sorry this is now part of your educational experience.  I am sorry I don't know what to say.  I am sorry I can't fix it.

There is a feeling that has haunted me all day because of this morning's events.  It's an uneasiness I can't explain.  It's a knowing that nothing will ever be the same in your world.  It's a protective reaction to keep you all safe and assure you there is still good in the world.

Every single one of the emotions and feelings you have right now is valid.  Each one deserves to be recognized and acknowledged.

I ask one thing: please don't hate.

To hate is an easy way out, and you are better than that.  I know the gut reaction.  I know the instinct.  But it doesn't do anyone any good to add to the hate. We've had enough.  Please find a way to rise above like the amazing people you are.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me 'Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping.'" - Mister Rogers

I lean on Mister Rogers during times like these.  Sadly, it has come up too often in my life.  This perspective reassures me and strengthens my resolve.  I can't imagine what your future will hold.  You always have choices in times like this.  I hope you choose to be the good this world needs.

I don't know what I will say to you tomorrow when you fill my classroom.  I can imagine the looks.  I can predict the tone.

I do know I will do two things for you, always: I will give you a safe space.  I will listen.

Love,
Mrs. Smith


5 comments:

  1. <3 What a beautiful letter. Thank you for putting into words what many of us are feeling.
    Love
    Mom of one of your students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing and sharing this, Nikki, and for being the teacher many of your students will need in the days and weeks to come. I am so sorry for your community's pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you
    Beautifully written.
    Good for both the students and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki- are you in the Des Moines area? I can't find an "About" section on you so I am wondering where you are located. This would be perfect for my own kiddos after what happened in Urbandale and Des Moines, Iowa a few days ago. Thank you for writing this beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mrs. Leo. I teach at Urbandale High School where the first officer lost his life. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete