Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

10 Things I've Learned in 10 Years of Teaching



I've been working on this list for over a year.  Trying to capture all ten years of teaching and growth has proven to be more challenging than I thought.  On the eve of the beginning of my eleventh year, here are some musings.   

10 Things I've Learned in 10 Years of Teaching

10.  I seriously love my job.  It's weird.  

9.  The kids are everything.  High schoolers are on the verge of figuring out who they are, and I love watching them experiment with life. 

8.  In order to be an effective reading and writing teacher, I must practice reading and writing.  There is no shortcut. 

7.  The lesson doesn't have to be perfect. 

6.  Policies and mandates are a reality.  Deep deep deep down, the intentions are good.  

5.  Teachers need to be empowered.  If you want true educational changes, let teachers do it.  

4.  Students will remember my passion more than they will remember the content and skills I teach. 

3.  I have learned so much.  Sometimes I want to apologize to my former students for what I know now.  

2.  I have so much more to learn.  And I will never stop learning.  The best teachers are the reflective ones.  

1.  Having and showing grace, especially within myself, is the most important thing I can do every day.    

Yes, teaching is hard.  Yes, teaching is stressful.  But it is also so rewarding.  And I can't see myself doing anything else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment