Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Dear Students, I Miss You

This is not how I planned to introduce myself.  I planned to bounce into class Monday morning full of caffeine, baby pictures, and book recommendations.  I planned to take a day to connect with you, listen to you, and observe you. I planned to figure out where you were and what you needed.  Instead, I am snuggled in with coffee and blankets listening to my daughters play, and missing you.  

I wish I had advice to ease your uncertainties.  Heck, I wish I had advice to relieve my own anxiety.  Allow yourself, and others, a little grace. These are truly historic and unprecedented times.  No one knows how to act or how to respond.  

Don’t work on what you have going on in my class.  You are all in the middle of essays, and I do not expect you to pick that up after being away from it for four weeks.  We will figure out the next right step. 

Do read.  Read to escape, to learn, to understand.  Get lost in a book that comforts you or challenges you.  Did you know you can still check out books on your phone from home? I can help!  I will post recommendations for you on Instagram, on Twitter, and on GoodReads.  I hope to email you all specific recommendations, too!  

Do write.  I’m not suggesting write you multiple page essays.  Just notice, observe, and record your story. Write to remember.  Perhaps a note on your phone, a text message to a friend, or a journal entry.  It doesn’t have to be fancy or formal. I find that putting my words somewhere else frees up my mind and soul a bit.  

My goal during this time is to reach out to you, connect with you, and maybe even encourage you to read a book.  I plan to email each of you individually over the course of this week to check in and see how I can best support you.  If you have questions or need help before then, I would love an email from you! Keep me posted. Be in touch. 

Stay safe,
Mrs. Smith 



No comments:

Post a Comment